Thursday 9 April 2009

The Duchess


Yesterday I decided to watch The Duchess after all, as I had nothing to do. I'd promised myself to watch this extravagant British costume-drama featuring the ever so charming Keira Knightly at her best being the Duchess of Devonshire. The movie is based on the best-selling biography by Amanda Foreman.


The story is about the 18th century aristocrat, Georgiana Cavendish and her heartless, adulterous husband, Ralph Fiennes. Married of to an old noble man, being obliged to produce an heir, Georgina developes into a politically conscious woman. Keira fits this role, like the many bright roles she has played, wearing tight corsets, hoop skirts and heavy wigs. The story in this film is associated with the life of Lady Di in a playful way, in fact Georgina is related to Lady Diana. The film features real-life visits to Bath, where I have been on a class trip two years ago, in front of the Royal Cresent and in the beautiful Bath Assembly rooms. It is truly breathtaking there, so it was nice as the movie brought up nostalgic memories. I liked it though, however I wasn't satisfied with the end. I was expecting the unexpected but that didn't happen!◆


F.S

No comments: