Monday 23 March 2009

Dreamlike, Martin De Thurah

''I don't think I've reached what you could call conclusions, and why should I?'', ''In my work I've looked inside several existential states of mind but you never stop learning about the world and trying to become a part of it, part of the universal understanding.'', he says.


The Danish artist on  feature films and director of music videos and short films, Mister De Thurah is trying to  move on  from his childhood sentiment taking the nostalgia with him. The action director has just finished his most recent disturbing dark promo called ''When I grow up'' for Fever Ray's. His work consists of eerie memories from his youth. Two of his short video's: Young Man Falling and We who stayed Behind (do watch these two!), which have flabbergasted everyone. I liked Young Man Falling very much. His short movies express the troubles and joys of adolescents. So clear, fresh and crispy. His artistic vision has truly mesmerised me. However I don't really like his latest film compared to his previous one. 



''I've been working with ideas around youth and identity for about three years now,''says the softly -spoken de Thurah from Copenhagen. ''I find the turmoil and mess you're in when you start growing up endlessly interesting. It's crazy battle being young which makes for some juicy material as a director- happy tears, loving laughter, red cheeks, suicide, girls breasts starting to grow, not really''  




F.S

No comments: